Here’s what you need to do…
- For early vegetable crops its essential to warm the soil before sowing, cover seedbeds with polythene or cloches.
- Complete pruning of climbing roses and rose bushes before new growth becomes too strong.
- Cut back ornamental grasses and other perennials left for winter interest, pulling out dead flower stalks.
- If weather is mild enough to allow the soil to be worked, lift and divide clumps of herbaceous perennials replanting immediately wherever possible.
- Prune Mahonia once flowering is finished, by removing spent flowers at their bases. Overlong shoots can also be cut back at this time of year.